Job Listing: Animal Caretaker at The Gentle Barn
Update: This position has been filled, but read on for a description of what they do and who to contact if you're interested in working with them in the future.
If you enjoy working outdoors and you're looking for a job that reflects your love of animals, your time has come—The Gentle Barn is looking for an animal caretaker.
The Gentle Barn is a non-profit foundation with two locations, one in California and the other here in Knoxville, Tennessee. The two locations currently care for more than 170 rescued animals and work with thousands of children, from school groups to at-risk and special needs kids and teens. Local visitors of all ages can also buy tickets to come tour the facility, meet the animals, and enjoy a cruelty-free lunch.
In recognition of their unique approach to human and animal rehabilitation through teaching kindness, compassion, and empathy for all living beings, the Gentle Barn was also named VegNews Magazine's 2015 nonprofit of the year. Sounds like the kind of place you'd love to work, right? Here's a short video illustrating The Gentle Barn's mission.
Job Listing: Animal Caretaker, The Gentle Barn
This full-time position will assist the location manager in ensuring the health and well-being of the various animals living at the The Gentle Barn property in Knoxville, TN. The Animal Caretaker will ensure the property grounds are maintained and the landscaping is watered and clear of all debris, as well as other duties as assigned.
- Ensure animals are properly feed, provided fresh water, and a clean living environment
- Give affection and monitor health and well-being of the animals
- Keep the property maintained and clear of all debris
- Assist with Saturday set-up and tear down
- Ensure trash is emptied and office pathways are clear of all debris
- Keep tools and other equipment organized and in good working order
- Miscellaneous projects as needed or requested
Experience and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Strong belief that all animals should be treated with compassion and respect
- Must be:
- a gentle and kind person who cares deeply for animals
- highly trainable and eager to learn
- comfortable around large animals
- able to lift over 100 lbs. daily
- available to work varying hours based on the needs of the business
- able to stand for long periods of time
- Prior experience in general maintenance, electrical, and plumbing strongly preferred
- Prior experience in contracting and landscaping preferred
- Prior experience training and caring for various animals a plus
- Trained and licensed to operate heavy equipment vehicles a plus
If you're interested in applying, just send your resume to Erin@gentlebarn.org.